Have swelling in lower leg. Worried for elephantiasis. Looking for diagnosis, treatment and cure

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I HAVE SWELLING IN MY LOWER LEGS.
TODAY I LEARNT THAT IT COULD BE ELEPHANTIASIS. IS THERE A DIAGNOSIS,TREATMENT AND CURE FOR IT? I AM FROM BANGALORE,INDIA.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, you have told that you have underwent below knee amputation. Now, you are having swelling of legs.

The most common cause of swelling in this situation is accumulation of lymphatic fluids due to idiopathic causes.

Filariasis causing elephantiasis is also a possibility which should be kept in mind. But in that case you should experience fever especially in night, pain in legs and enlarged glands in groin. If you do not have any symptoms like this, then filariasis could be a rare possibility.

Now, for diagnosis, a blood sample is to be drawn at the time of fever, not in other time. A thick and thin smear is necessary. For this, you have to get admitted in hospital. A complete hemogram is necessary to prove hyper-eosinophilia.

Now a days, a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) from the swelling may also lead us to diagnosis of the disease.

So, consult with a general physician first for a detailed clinical examination. After that, follow your doctor for investigations.

If filariasis is confirmed, then diethylcarbamazine should be started with or without albendazole. For fever, a paracetamol group of drug will be enough.

Lastly, consult with a general physician for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.