Have sudden electrical pain from shoulders to ear started since childhood. Suggest?

Dec 2012

I have a sudden electrical pain that goes from my shoulder to my ear. It only lasts for 2-3 seconds, but here lately it has been quite freguently this start when I was 16 I am now 70 yrs. old.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

I am pleased to be able to help you.

You have been suffering from mild neuralgia (with unknown cause) and it has simply aggravated over the years because of aging (as the nerves get older too). It might require just some antineuralgic medication such as carbamazepine or amitryptiline which will give you temporary relief.
Please do not get frustrated that you might not be able to receive any cure as electrical nerve pain, most at times requires only symptomatic treatment.
You might also require specialist consultation with a neurologist and given your age, it is best to be placed on preventive medications against stroke and heart diseases (with low dose aspirin).

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Have sudden electrical pain from shoulders to ear started since childhood. Suggest? 12 hours later
I have had my heart checked out, with a stress test, it was fine. My question is do I need preventive medications as you mention? I do like to take alternate medications (natural things, for example hawtrorn berries, red yeast etc.) instead of what is offered. can you suggest something?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later

Thanks for updating,

That is nice then to know that you already got your heart checked and it was fine. Preventive medication is not absolute but relative. Your doctor may choose not to place you on it. As for alternative medicine, there is nothing wrong with being on that if your source is reliable, then you may go for it. Also eat low fat/cholesterol diet, low sugar diet, if you take alcohol then it should be moderate etc. You may also exercise regularly.

Hope this helps