Have stomach discomfort bellow belly button, closer to hip and waistline. Cause?

Question
right side stomach discomfort bellow belly button, closer to hip and waistline, pulled/strained muscle from cough?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, this could be a possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting us.
This could well be a pulled or strained muscle, but other possibilities must be ruled out.
Unfortunately, I am not aware of your history in detail like your age, sex, your medical history & the duration & nature of your cough etc, so, it is difficult for me to judge the relation between the two.
Other common causes of pain in this area are acute appendicitis, lymph adenitis & ectopic pregnancy in females.
I think you should see a physician to exclude all these causes by physical examination, especially if discomfort or pain is increasing & not settling with common pain killers.
I hope you are taking some treatment for your cough. Also use saline gargles & steam inhalation along with it, to reduce symptoms.
Hope I have given you some helpful information, please write back if you want to discuss this further.
Best regard.

Follow-up: Have stomach discomfort bellow belly button, closer to hip and waistline. Cause? 14 minutes later
thanks for the response I am30 year old male and sure my cough is from smoking :/ I'm not in any pain no nausea, just some discomfort in certain positions like bending or twisting, I have had a cough for about a week now can be strong at times other wise I'm pretty healthy, I checked my mc Burney's point? I believe is the name an I don't have rebound pain, I'm just worried about appendicitis :(

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Appendicits is not likely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
If you have no pain & rebound tenderness then chances of appendicitis are next to impossible.
Relation of discomfort to posture indicate the pain is probably muscular.
This is good to know that you are healthy but remember smoking is the number one enemy of your health & is the route cause of many medical diseases & cancer. So, please give serious consideration to quitting.
You may try ordinary painkillers like paracetamol if you are not allergic to it.
If God forbid no improvement or worsening symptoms, you must visit the doctor personally, to get this evaluated.

Follow-up: Have stomach discomfort bellow belly button, closer to hip and waistline. Cause? 6 hours later
hi doctor, I woke up today an a lot of the discomfort has gone away I can twist an bend with minimal discomfort its still there but not like it was yesterday, is that a good sign I hope? thank you for your time!

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, this is a good sign.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply & very sorry for responding so late.
Good to know that you are feeling better now. This is definitely a very good indicator that your problem is resolving.
You are welcome here with all your questions & we are ready to help you.

Follow-up: Have stomach discomfort bellow belly button, closer to hip and waistline. Cause? 12 hours later
hi doc so today it has been I think 3 days an most of the symptoms are gone but I noticed today since I've been walking around work that my right hip? but lower almost in the joint that connects the thigh to the hip I'm guessing? hurts when I walk, not my hip per say but the area same as the butt but in the front when I put weight on it or walk I can deal with the pain its not bad but its new, this is not appendicitis is it? thank you doc sorry for the worries

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
X-Ray of the joint & TLC count may give some help

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.
No, it doesn't sound like appendicitis.
May be a joint problem as weight bearing & walking is aggravating your pain.
I think you should try common pain killers like Paracetamol or Aspirin ( if you have no known problem with them) & continue with your activities. If this settles, good enough, if not, you should seek medical help. Doctor will most likely recommend you X-rays of the joint, to sort this out.
If you are very concerned about appendicitis, please go for one complete blood count as total leucocyte count (TLC) is often elevated in appendicitis, or visit a doctor to rule this out by clinical examination.
Hope I have addressed your concerns.
Wish you good health.