Have soreness in left nipple area, no lump. Should I be worried?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
left nipple and surrounding area is sore but no lump is felt? . s
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Sore nipple in males may be due to injury to the breast tissue like by pinching or accident that may cause soreness of breast, infection of the breast is called mastitis, but is rare in males and also associated with swelling and redness, Pain in the underlying muscles or ribs may be mistaken for sore nipples and also abrasion and also rough cloths that you are wearing.

You have not elaborated the symptoms like the duration since you are experiencing this, whether you will get pain all the time or on touching your nipple, any history of trauma to chest, any heart condition and also the drug history. It will be great if you write about this.

Meanwhile I am assuming it is of short duration, you can try to eliminate the soreness by wearing light cotton clothes that will not rub against your nipples. Apply a lubricant like baby oil or any moisturizer over the nipples.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Have soreness in left nipple area, no lump. Should I be worried? 1 hour later
I've had this soreness for a couple of months but there is no change.
I take meds for high blood pressure, tricor , coumadin and meds associated with a fib. i wear loose clothing that might rub - i will use moisturizer to see if it helps.
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 13 hours later
Good to hear from you.

As such the drugs you have mentioned are not responsible for causing the sore nipple. Try using a moisturizer. Also, the pain could be due to arthritis of ribs or a muscular cause, it can lead to pain in the nipples. Alternatively, it could be allergic reaction itself. In that case, a moisturizer will help.
You can apply diclofenac gel on the area and see if it helps. If it does, the pain is muscular and it will become ok on its own. Loose clothing will also help.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.