Have sore throat. Taken antibiotic and steroid Injection. How to cure this?

ENT Specialist
Hi I been dealing with a Sore throat for a week now. I haven't been eating or sleeping plus it is hard for me to talk. I was given a Steroid Injection, Penicillin Injection, and An antibiotic to take at home. I have 6 antibiotics pills left and my condition is not getting better, I missed a week of work and i'mm physically exhustated from the pain in my throat. What could i do fto feel better because i went back to the ER and thy told me to finish the antibiotic regimen and if it doesn't clear up got to a ENT Clinic; I'm in too much pain to wait. Please Help!!!!
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 2 hours later

Welcome in H.C.M.

I have gone through your query regarding your sore throat for a week and not responding to treatment you are taking. In this connection I would like to tell you probably you are not having simple sore throat, it may be associated with either tonsillar sepsis or ulceration in your pharynx.

Second possibility is that antibiotic which you are taking may be either resistant to existing infection or may be mildly sensitive to existing infection.

Thirdly diabetes should be ruled out,if patient is diabetic than responce of antibiotic will not be so good as desired, untill blood sugar is controlled.

Therefore I would like to tell you to please do these basic investigations-
(1) Culture and sensitivity of throat swab.
(2) Blood- CBC, ESR, blood sugar -F. & P.P.
(3) X-Ray chest - P. A. view.

Beside this thorough examination of your throat is necessary for that you please connsult your ENT specialist. Until your appointment is fix up with ENT specialist you may take some antiseptic gargling and to add analgesic like tab brufen in your exiting prescription.

Wishing for speedy recovery.

With Regards.