Have sore on foot and got hit with chair. Redness and swelling appeared on foot. What to do?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My daughter got a sore on her foot from thongs rubbing then bumped this sore against a chair - now the whole foot has become really red and swollen - also painful - what should she do?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 38 minutes later
Your daughter has most probably got a wound infection or her foot is inflamed due to the injury.
Either ways the best thing to do is to get it examined by your doctor as it might worsen if not treated with appropriate antiinflammatory analgesics and antibiotics .
Meanwhile take care to avoid any further pressure or injury to it . Warm soaks might improve circulation and provide relief . If there is an open wound or sore clean it with soap and water and apply an antibiotic ointment like mupirocin or fusidic acid.
Keep the foot open, elevated and dry whenever possible.
For pain analgesic like acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be taken .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.