Have shortness of breath and cough with mucus. Treated for shingles. Treatment for Chicken Pox pneumonia?

Question
What is the treatment for Chicken Pox pneumonia? I have shortness of breath accompanied by
a cough induced by mucus. I had shingles and it was treated with a perscription followed
three weeks later with the anti shingles shot.
shingles are gone but I have shortness of breath.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. Chiecken pox pneumonia, also known classically as pneumonia XXXXXXX is a very serious, relatively unusual complication of varicella virus. It presents with a pneumonia and extreme shortness of breath and low oxygen levels; the usual treatment includes hospitalization and intravenous acyclovir (an antiviral), as well as supportive measures including supplemental oxygen, nebulizers, etc.

IF you have had a persistent cough for this long, it will be indicated for you to visit your provider, who can perform a pulmonary examination, perhaps obtain a chest x XXXXXXX and go from there.

Hope that is helpful, wish you the best,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Have shortness of breath and cough with mucus. Treated for shingles. Treatment for Chicken Pox pneumonia? 55 minutes later
If I have Vericella Virus and shortness of breath and a cough should I be on a
anti biotic ?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 4 minutes later
If the provider that evaluates you believes that the respiratory infection is caused by a bacteria, yes, an antibiotic would usually be prescribed in such case

Follow-up: Have shortness of breath and cough with mucus. Treated for shingles. Treatment for Chicken Pox pneumonia? 0 minute later
My local doctor after reviewing a chest exray said I had a partial collapsed lower right lung.

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 2 minutes later
that is what we call atelectasies, or underfilled lung. sometimes it is quite difficult to distinguish from a consolidation, or infected segment of the lung

Follow-up: Have shortness of breath and cough with mucus. Treated for shingles. Treatment for Chicken Pox pneumonia? 2 minutes later
Could all of this happened due to receiving the Aniti Shingles vaccine from the pharmacy ?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 3 hours later
Quite unlikely for that to be the cause of persistent cough. most of the adverse reactions are local or in the form of flu like symptoms shortly after receiving vaccine

truly yours