Have shigella. Severe diarrhea. Gave stool sample. No bowel movement. Normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have shigella. It began Thurs. 12-29-11. I went to walk-in clinic 1-5-12 Thurs. Gave blood & urine samples. Took stool kit home. Next day no BM felt painfull. Sat. Severe diarrhera pains 5am - 11am when husband took me to ER. Dropped off stool sample at lab. ER took more blood,urine and stool samples. Gave IV with painkiller and antibodics - went home with same. Received diagnosis yesterday. Question: Have not had a BM since Sat. 1-7-12. Is this normal? I just tried little ennima and got small amt. really thick pick (gummy) mucus.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later

Inability to pass stools after a recent history of severe diarrhea is not worrisome. Since there was passage of mucus on applying enema this suggests that there was not much fecal matter present at that time. Further absence of abdominal pain / distension implies that you are likely to improve and become healthy.

In the mean time, you can take some simple measures in addition to plenty of dietary –
1. Drink a glass of water before going to the toilet.
2. Take probiotics- lactobacillus acidophillus spores. They are available over the counter as sachets/drugs which can be used for few days.
3. Acupressure may also help - The point is at the highest spot of the muscle between the thumb and index finger when they are brought close together. With your thumb or middle finger at a 90 degree angle to the skin, apply gradually increasing pressure. Hold for three minutes. The pressure should not be painful or uncomfortable.
4. Take magnesium supplements or magnesium XXXXXXX foods like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
5. Engage in regular physical activity. Not getting enough physical activity can lead to constipation.

Stool normally contains a small amount of mucus. Lots of gas and indigestion is commonly associated with passage of some amount of mucus in the stools. This is not a worrisome symptom and will subside on its own.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.