Have sharp shooting pain in coccyx. How to treat it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
as stated in my background, i have a sharp shooting pain in my coccyx that has persisted undiagnosed since XXXXXXX no known injury. overall muscle joint discomfort that ive dealt with since a child. the actual space of my tailbone has widened visibly over the last several months. curious as to what it could be and how to treat it besides drugs to numb the pain. Im still active in yoga and use tigerbalm and heating pads to help ease the pain.
Posted Sat, 22 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
These symptoms are suggestive of coccydynia caused by inflammation of the coccyx bone. The symptoms are generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area.
To know the cause of widened space in the area, MRI would be the best investigation.
Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms:
1) Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

2) Take adequate rest and apply hot compresses, avoid any injury to the affected area and take some antiinflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac as you are already taking. Some severe cases with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx.
3) You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.
4) Also eat a high fiber diet foods to soften stools and avoid constipation.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.