Have serum cholesterol of 332 mg/dl. Suggest some medication

In a routine medical check-up , i came to know that i've high cholesterol ( Serum Cholesterol 332 mg / dl ). Kindly assist me with necessary medicine if required.
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concern with XXXXXXX
Serum Cholesterol of 332 mg/dl is certainly high, desirable level is <200mg/dl, First step would be to do a Lipid Profile that gives values of LDL, HDL, and Triglycerides.
I would like to know few relevant facts:
1) Is there any family history of Diabetes/High cholesterol/Thyroid disorder?
2) Are you Overweight?
2) Are you Non vegetarian?
3) Do you take alcohol?
4) Do you smoke?
5) Do you Exercise?
Modification of life-style, which includes food habits, cessation of smoking, and cutting down alcoholic beverages, weight control and regular exercises is first step in treatment of High Cholesterol.
When I get required information, I will be able to answer in detail.
Follow-up: Have serum cholesterol of 332 mg/dl. Suggest some medication 13 hours later
Here are my answers

Ans: My dad is diabetic

2) Are you Overweight?
Ans: My height is 5 feet 8 inches and my weight is 85 kgs

2) Are you Non vegetarian?

Ans: Yes, I take non-veg on Sunday, Monday & Friday

3) Do you take alcohol?

Ans:I stopped it since Aug,2011 but started recently ( one week back )
Alcohol type : Beer & Vodka

4) Do you smoke?
Ans: No

5) Do you Exercise?
Ans: Not regular, I go for a walk late evening

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 4 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

Based on the details provided, my comments are as follows:

1. You have a positive family history of diabetes. Watch your diet and lifestyle to prevent diabetes.

2. The desirable weight for 5 feet and 8 inches would be 70 to 75 kg (BMI 23 to 25). At 85 kg, you are overweight and hence needs to be addressed since that will grossly influence your cholesterol levels. Accordingly diet and exercise play vital role.
- In diet reduce your calories and saturated fats - 25 Kcal/kg body weight that is approximately 2000 Kcal /day. You should avoid fats, red meat, butter, ghee and XXXXXXX fried food items.
- Take more XXXXXXX vegetable and fruits. If possible avoid non veg or take egg white and fish in little quantity.
- Consult a nutritionist if possible and formulate a personalised diet plan to suit you.
- Take up regular exercise like brisk walk 3 to 4 km daily.
- Aim to gradually reduce weight by 10 kg. The aforementioned diet and exercise will help you in achieving this target.

3. It is good that you have stopped smoking. Restricting alcohol is also better; if possible quitting alcohol is also recommended.

4. It would be better to get a complete lipid profile study. Various lipids such as LDL; HDL and triglycerides help us identifying your risks. Ideal levels of these are:
- Total Cholesterol -<200 mg/dl
- LDL - < 130mg/dl
- HDL - > 40 mg/dl
- TG - < 150 mg/dl

5. We can also consider starting cholesterol lowering drugs like statin and fibrate. Since they are available in wide variety of brands across the globe, consult a physician nearby and take a prescription.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that.