Have scalp neuritis. Taking gabapentin and vitamin B. Am I taking proper medication?

Dermatologist
Question
I fell down and ever since then have what I believe to be is scalp neuritis. I am now on my third day of gabapentin 300mg, but I just triggered another episode by rubbing my scalp. I am on vitamin B, and have some luck with capsacin. Is there anything else you recommend?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us
Scalp neuralgia can occur due to injury, inflammation, nutritional disorder or psychological causes.
It presents itself as numbness tingling in scalp, pain in affected area, headaches, increased light sensitivity, pain in eyes etc.
To trea the same
Non steroidal antiinflammatory drugs like naproxen can be taken. If not helpful then one can take gabapentin, pregablin or carbamazepine
Sometimes steroid injections too are beneficial.
As other cause is nutritional, it is good that you are on vitamin supplementation. Improve your diet, take lots of whole grains, sprouts, salads , fruits, carrots, spinach,soy milk etc. any diet that is XXXXXXX in B complex vitamins would be helpful.

As you are on gabapentin and multivitamins, right now I would just advise to follow your doctor's prescription. If not helpful, you may consult your doctor again to get your prescription modified. Also try to remain stress free as much as possible. Yoga, meditation,daily walks help in such condition too. Locally you may do cold water compresses or apply capsaicin gel to relieve symptoms.

Hope that helped.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Have scalp neuritis. Taking gabapentin and vitamin B. Am I taking proper medication? 4 minutes later
Could the visual disturbances in my eyes be related to the scalp neuritis?

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 6 hours later
Visual disturbances are also seen in association with cerebral palsy. Severe migraines or headaches associated with neuralgia can lead to visual disturbance too.

You can consult your treating doctor and ophthalmologist for the same.

Hope that helped. Take care

Follow-up: Have scalp neuritis. Taking gabapentin and vitamin B. Am I taking proper medication? 6 hours later
One last question. I'm currently on a multivitamin, B-50, and vitamin D. Would it be better to use B-100?

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 hours later
The only difference between multivitamin B 50 and B 100 is that B 100 contains the combination of vitamin in higher dosage.
As such water soluble and no harm would occur if taken in higher amount as it gets excreted in urine. So you can take B100 but still I would advise that you may consult your doctor to prior to starting its use.

Hope that helped. Take care