Have prostatitis, wife pregnant. Will it affect fetus or pregnancy?

Hi I got prostatitis and in the mean time my wife get pregnant does it effect my unborn baby or her pregnancy.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your problem on Healthcare Magic!

Sperms are produced in the seminiferous tubules of testes and stored high up in seminal vesicles. They pass through prostate very fast where they remain with its secretions for quite short period. Hence sperms are not affected by prostatitis. So the unborn baby WILL NOT be affected.

However your wife can get infected; so please get her investigated a week later. Get her complete blood count (CBC), Urine routine and culture and a high vaginal swab for gram stain and culture.
She will need treatment if she is found to have infection.
If you have difficulties in getting the above investigation, consult a gynecologist nearby. He/she can guide you through the treatment.

I hope this information is both informative and helpful to you. If you have any further doubts please feel free to post me a follow up.

Congratulation!!! Wish her a safe and healthy pregnancy!!!

Follow-up: Have prostatitis, wife pregnant. Will it affect fetus or pregnancy? 45 hours later
Hi thank you very much for your help my gp asking one more blood test for my wife they thinking she got question is any kind of STD does it effect my unborn baby? Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 11 minutes later

Welcome back.

Do you mean test for syphilis?

Serological test for Syphilis is frequently done during pregnancy; because if found infected, treatment is mandatory. As syphilis can cause snuffles and other problems as mentioned below in the fetus and new born, it is good that your doctors rule it out.

Congenital Syphilis can cause miscarriages, premature births, stillbirths, or death of newborn babies. Some infants with congenital syphilis have symptoms at birth, but most develop symptoms later. Untreated babies can have deformities, delays in development, or seizures along with many other problems such as rash, fever, hepatosplenomegaly, anemia, and jaundice.
Early treatment can avoid these complications altogether.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.
If all your doubts are cleared, please close this discussion.

I wish your wife a great health.

Take care!