Have problem in blinking eye, is sore and lips is also weak.What could be the cause?

In the last two days I had bottom and top lid in only one eye droop over night and muscle seems somewhat inactive making difficulty blinking with right eye, also sore I don't seem to have any other symptoms other than the right side same side, of my lip is weak and I have a hard time closing my eye spontaneously, I am over 65 do you have suggestions as to cause.
Thank you DR. G.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question. I think it is possible that you're dealing with a syndrome called Bells Palsy. This is generally caused by a virus which affects one of the major nerves of the face.

This can cause drooping of lip and eye as well. The treatment is generally utilizing antiviral medications as well as sometimes steroid medications.

The best results are usually achieved treatment is started as soon as possible.
For this reason I urge you to go to your local emergency department immediately for evaluation. The doctor can start you immediately on medication so that The symptoms will remain stable and hopefully slowly improve over time.

Thank you again for sending a question. Please report your local emergency room as soon as possible.

Dr. Galamaga