Had Bells Palsy symptoms, thought to be sinus issue. Recovering from upper respiratory infection and one side paralysis

Rheumatologist
Question
i've had Bells Palsy symptoms for almost a week now and my GP failed to recognize the symptoms, he thought it was a sinus issue, which it's not. I was recovering from a severe upper respiratory infection. Would seeing a neurologist be of any benefit now? The severe ear and left side head pain is subsiding but I have numbness and left side paralysis (can't raise eyebrows or smile). My Dr finally prescribed Tramadol and Meloxicam. Tramadol didn't help with pain.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that it is definitely helpful and recommendable to you see a neurologist immediately . May be course of antibiotic will also be given to you .

It is also possible that you may had facial nerve palsy secondary to upper respiratory infection rather than having bells palsy . It will have to be determined that what is the cause . Plus neurophysiotherapy is very essential for recovery .

So I will advise you to consult a neurologist immediately .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Had Bells Palsy symptoms, thought to be sinus issue. Recovering from upper respiratory infection and one side paralysis 15 minutes later
Thus far, there are no neurologists that have openings before next week. I have an appointment with an ENT Monday because my Dr originally thought this to be a sinus issue, but I don't think an ENT can help with palsy, or can they?

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes .

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for reverting back .

Definitely an ENT specialist can be of help to you . They are quite experienced in dealing with facial palsy as they frequently encounter such cases.I think he will be able to help you .

Dr. Shruti