Ask a Dentist   »  

Have pimple like lump on hard palate. Blood came out after popping. Cause and cure?

Hi I am 32 year old female, for the past 6months I have had a pimple like lump on my hard palate, It hasn't got bigger in that time. 1st thing in the morning it is less visible, it is more visible, feels fuller(although its not big) after eating. I put salt on my finger then pressed it on the lump a few times for a day, the head became more enlarged so I popped it with a pin (it usually comes back 3-5days) and blood came out of it, I have also scratched it many times with my finger nail, what comes out of it is comparing it to scratching a pimple on your face and a small white hardish pus ball comes out that you can roll in your fingers, and a little blood (the dental hygenist popped it once and clear fluid came out she didn't think it was sinister). When it came back I put salt on it again this time it felt smaller to touch with my tongue and finger. I am booked in to see an Oral surgeon in a couple of weeks. I was just wondering what your opinion is to ease my worrying.
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 59 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

The abscess appeared on your palate may be associated with following conditions- caries/fracture of any tooth in the maxillary arch in which the infection has progressed into periapical region resulting in abscess formation in your palate due to drainage of pus into hard palate.

2.periodontal infection due to improper oral hygiene maintenance or diabetes/auto-immune disease associated.

Visit your dentist to get the treatment.

If there is any decayed/fractured tooth, root canal treatment has to be done for the tooth. Access opening will help in drainage of pus through the tooth.

If there is periodontal infection of any teeth, ultra sound scaling and root planning along with curettage has to be done.

Take complete course of analgesics and antibiotics prescribed by your dentist.

I would suggest you to get a complete medical check-up too.

Maintain good oral hygiene.
Please make sure that you clean your teeth after every meal.

Hope I clarified your query.
If you have any more doubts, please feel free to ask.

Follow-up: Have pimple like lump on hard palate. Blood came out after popping. Cause and cure? 1 hour later
Thank you for your prompt reply. I got my teeth cleaned by a dentist in October 2012 and she said there was a lot of build up of Plaque and calculus and I had gingivitis could that cause an abscess as she didn't mention any fractured teeth or dental caries.

Also I am paranoid about cancer, does my problem sould like it could be cancer or just an abscess or a cyst?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Gingivitis also can cause abscess if it has progressed into periodontium and supporting structures of teeth. Getting an x-ray of periodontally compromised teeth to know the cause of abscess is advisable.

It is not at all cancer; but if left untreated it can affect your physical health also.

Get your blood-sugar level checked. I also suggest dental check-up once every six months.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need further clarifications.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Follow-up: Have pimple like lump on hard palate. Blood came out after popping. Cause and cure? 9 hours later
Thank you once again. Just one more question, why am I advised to get my blood sugar levels checked?

Thank you for your time
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Please check your blood-sugar level to know whether you are diabetic or not. In diabetic patients, the chance of getting plaque accumulated is more.
So please maintain good oral hygiene.