Have pcos. Pregnancy test positive. Ultrasound to be done. Looking for suggestion

My wife has polycystic ovarian syndrome. She has had long irregular cycles. She has also following basal body temp. Her last period was Mar 10. According to temp she has ovulated late at around 28th day. Home pregnancy test showed positive on 14dpo ie 20 Apr. She's asked to undergo her first scan on 27th to check for baby heartbeat and pregnancy status. Our query is that since she ovulated late, can we see the heartbeat at 3weeks past ovulation? Or another week's delay is preferable?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

1. Based on her LMP start date, she would be 6 1/7 weeks right now
2. Based on when you think she conceived, she would be 5 4/7 weeks right now
3. The earliest that you can see a heartbeat on vaginal ultrasound is at about 6 0/7 weeks.

Based on these facts, it seem that you likely would be able to see a fetus with a heartbeat by the end of this week, or certainly at the beginning of next week. I like the idea of just scanning in one week to be safe. Congratulations and good luck!

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions.