Have painless red bumps on vaginal lip, milky white discharge. Suspected for herpes type 1. Worrisome

Mar 2016

I have painless red bumps on my outer and inner vagina lips. I also am itching and irritated and have a white milky discharge. It also smells somewhat yeasty. Just before this I had anal sex and then vaginal sex without washing first. I went to doctor and she said herpes type 1 and I waiting results of culture test. I am just curious how I could have herpes since my partner tested negative. Could this just be a really bad bacterial infection? I also didn't notice the red bumps until the 2nd day of taking monistat 3.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 55 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

Bad vaginal odor along with white discharge & itching is mostly associated with vaginal infection.

It may be due to several underlying etiology and these are as follows:

1) Mostly vaginal yeast infection and sometimes Bacterial vaginosis (milky white discharge with fishy odor).
2) From any type of sexually transmitted disease (STD)- presence of small red bump with bad smell vaginal discharge may suggest.
3) Concurrent practice of vaginal and anal intercourse in alternate way during same session.
4) Other- not properly maintenance of genital hygiene, contact with chemical substance while using condom/ detergent/ bath products etc.

Genital herpes is unlikely as it is always painful. Though, you should confirm it after getting the test reports.

The possibility can be narrowed by several investigations like one vaginal swab test for culture, blood test for complete STD profile, urine examination- routine & microscopy, cell culture & antibody to HSV (1 & 2) for Herpes etc.

Complete treatment depends on pin point diagnosis. You need to take proper anti microbial drug therapy along with vaginal suppository to get relief from this condition. Your partner also needs same antibiotic therapy to avoid future transmission of the infection.

In this scenario, your consulting gynecologist can help regarding this for next line of management following test reports.

Following things are helpful to get relief from above condition:

1) Take healthy diet with anti oxidant (like Vit-E/ C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water/ juice for better systemic circulation.
2) Do not touch/ wipe out genital area too much. Also avoid inserting objects inside vagina.
3) Maintain genital hygiene properly with proper washing & clean.
4) Wear only clean & cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation.
5) Avoid using any type of chemical cosmetics or soap or condoms.
6) Try to avoid any type of sexual activity for at least 2-3 weeks.

Hope, above said information is sufficient & very much helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health and practice protective sex in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Have painless red bumps on vaginal lip, milky white discharge. Suspected for herpes type 1. Worrisome 1 hour later
I keep reading that multiple red bumps are not symptoms of yeast infections or bacterial infections. Only herpes. Is there a small chance that red bumps can stem from another condition not related to herpes (or ingrown hairs etc)?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

Thanks for follow up query.

I have already mentioned possibilities of painless small red bump in my previous reply. Genital herpes is very much painful. So, generally it can't be painless bump.

Only laboratory test (blood test & culture) can confirm the diagnosis. Following test reports, you consult with your treating doctor for proper medication and guideline.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy. Maintain genital hygiene properly.

Dr Soumen