Have pain below breast in rib cage, trouble breathing when taking stairs. Taken aleve but no help. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I woke today with pain below my left breast in my rib cage. No significant trauma or activities that would have caused a muscle strain. I was significantly out of breath walking up the stairs to my third floor office this morning. I've taken aleve but it didn't do too much. I'm also feeling flu-like symptoms and other aches, which may or may not be related.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Moustafa Saeed 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not ignore chest pain

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your question,

You are describing left sided chest pain with short of breathing and also feeling unwell, all those symptoms together should be taken seriously for possible heart or lung condition.

Muscular pain could be an option in your case especially that you are having aches else where in your body. and that should settle with anti-inflammatory tablets and simple pain killers.

If pain does not settle with simple analgesia then you need to see your doctor or go to emergency department to have ECG (heart tracing), chest x-ray and some blood tests.

Hope you get well soon.