Have muscle atrophy between thumb and finger and weakness in hands. Underlying cause?

Nov 2013

Hi I have muscle atrophy between my thumb and finger on both hands with significant weakness on the left hand. It's been difficult and painful to get the conduction tests the doctor had long wide fake nails with daisys on them which I thought was in appropriate for a medical professional,

My wild guess is the bra straps are causing an impingement, explains parallel damage.

My question after going through all this and not having any results or test (3 plus months) is so what? Why do I care and what are the dangers of ignoring it all

Pinched ulnar nerve

Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle weakness may worsen if ignored

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on the description of your symptoms, it is most likely to be due to pinched nerve in the neck region or the pinched ulnar nerve. In some cases, it could be a problem in the cervical spinal cord. In addition to nerve conduction studies, MRI of cervical spine would be useful. I think it is important to confirm the diagnosis, and start treatment so as to prevent any progression of the disease.
I agree with your comment on the medical professional should not have long nails.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Have muscle atrophy between thumb and finger and weakness in hands. Underlying cause? 17 minutes later
The Botox to the neck region could be part of the issue? The Dystonia I'm assuming is the reason why my neck/cervical bones had significant spaces between them from a random X-ray diagnosed 'neck in spasm'

The problem is the doc that does the Botoxing denies doing the injections and does a lot of off the cuff things as he is a researcher ... With short nails....

And there are only so many specialists in the area

No it can't be the Botox because my fingers went numb 3 years ago which is the first sign of problem ...

Basically if I do nothing it will get worse and if I seek help and get blown off it's the same.

Think out loud...

How long does Botox to the neck last? The jaw face head ones died off 2 months ago, but for 3 weeks the spasms were worse and more dramatic.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Botox is not related to your problem

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

I do not think Botox is related to your current problem, as Botox can cause weakness but it does not cause wasting or atrophy of muscles.

Pinched nerves in the neck are often due to slipped disc in the cervical spine region.

Your symptoms can improve, and it can be kept in check with regular exercises.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)