Have lump in neck. Feel dizzy and blood not flowing right. Arms feel numb and tingly. Hands tremble. Concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I have a lump at the base of my neck that has not been bother me until recently. When I turn my neck down or around I get dizzy and feel like my blood isn't flowing right. Eventually all this blood rushes to my head and I can hear it. My arms have been very numb and tingly and I can't grip things that well. I have been dropping things all the time because of my grip. My hand trembles for no reason at times. When I work out my arms in Pilates I feel like I could pass out. Last week my face went numb starting from my right jaw moving up to my cheek bone.Had a MRI on neck and head and found nothing. This was without XXXXXXX What do I need to do? Scary.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that the fact that MRI of brain and spine were done, and they were found to be normal, means there are no serious underlying problems.

Since the lump has been there for long, and there are no communications of this lump with the spinal cord or nerves, also is a good news.

Dizziness on neck movements are most often due to mild peripheral vertigo, the commonest cause being BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). It is self limiting in nature. For relief of symptoms, you can take betahistine tablets.

You may also want to get a nerve conduction studies of the upper limbs (arms and forearms) done, to exclude any peripheral neuropathy. Please discuss this with your neurologist.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/