Have low back pain, painful in standing and maintaining position. Had chiropractic, accupuncture but temporary help. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have low back pain from "very tight back muscles". I can't sit, drive, stand or maintain any position for more that 1hr without pain. I am a 53yo nurse in very good health & physical condition otherwise. I bike, hike, swim, zumba - until within this last 6-8months as my back pain has has increased in frequency. I have had chiropractic adjustments, PT massage, accupuncture. And it all works temporarily....any other suggestions?
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggest facet joint injections.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
I can see from your details that you have tried many treatments for your back pain. You do not mention facet joint injections therefore I suggest this may be an option for you to look at.
The facet joints are the small joints linking the vertebrae in the back. This type of treatment is commonly used for the treatment of chronic back pain due to facet joint disease. This is not a cure but may significantly reduce your pain levels.
The injections are performed under local anesthesia often using X-ray control to assist in placement. The injection contains a mixture of local anesthetic and steroid. The benefits are that local anaesthetics numb the nerves for a period of hours giving short-term relief and local steroid has a long-term effect reducing inflammation in the joint and around the nerves. If these injections are helpful, they can be repeated after 4 months.
I would suggest you discuss this option with either a chronic pain specialist or orthopedic specialist who provides is form of treatment.
I hope this information has given you another option to consider. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,