Have large lump above adam's apple moves when swallow, sore throat. US normal. Diagnosed with LPR. Suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hey doc, I have a large hard lump above my Adam's XXXXXXX which moves up and down when I swallow. Slight sore throat and globus. Scope up the nose and ultrasound came up with nothing? Originally I thought this might be a thyroglossal cyst but the technician who has been at it for twenty years said nothing is there? She felt the lump as well and said she didn't know what it was. Emergency at MA eye and ear diagnosed me with LPR but this was prior to me finding the lump. Slight ache under armpit? (Just felt it while writing this), Tinnitus, sore submental glamd under chin, difficulty swallowing and visable epiglottis (never before)and globus. I'm a 37 YO sexually,active male, smoked in the past but stopped when these symptoms came up 2 MONTHS AGO. I was smoking like a chimney for two months leading up to my wedding and developed symptoms which started as a scratchy throat on my honeymoon.. CBC and mono test came back normal. Lingual tonsils are also hard and swollen Help! This is driving me nuts. Is it possible that the ultrasound is not picking up a Thyroglossal duct cyst? Is this LPR? My immune system may be compromised from taking 10MG of suboxone daily. Starting to go crazy....Thanks for any insight -bryce
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a thyroid gland swelling.

Detailed Answer:
The swelling in the neck that moves with swallowing is likely to be due to a thyroid gland swelling. Since the lymph nodes are also palpable, an infection in the area is also likely. Throglossal cyst is not likely to be missed on an ultrasound scan.
Since the swelling is palpable, you can get an FNAC of the lump to know the exact cause. An MRI scan of the soft tissues of the neck is also a more sensitive test to detect the cause of such swellings.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.