Have itchy rashes on elbow, calves and inner thigh. What is the underlying cause?

What is causing this rash like itching on my elbows, calves, and inner thighs? I started a new colestoral med about the same time, could that be the cause?
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Rash is very common side effect and can occur with any medicine in susceptible individual.

There are several classes of drugs used for reducing cholesterol. They may differ in both their impact on the cholesterol profile and adverse effects. Clinically, the choice of an agent will depend on the patient's cholesterol profile, cardiovascular risk, and the liver and kidney functions of the patient, evaluated against the balancing of risks and benefits of the medications.

Most commonly by physicians used statins (atorvastatin, fluvastatin, lovastatin, pitavastatin, pravastatin, rosuvastatin and simvastatin) which is well-suited for lowering LDL, the cholesterol with the strongest links to vascular diseases.

Common side effects of statins are: myopathy (lead to muscle pain), rhbdomyolysis, increase liver enzymes, Digestive problems (nausea, gas, diarrhea or constipation), increase blood sugar, neurological side effects and rash or flushing.

Although side effects are experienced by minor number of cases. But as your problem started after start of medicine (statins or some other drug), then we should suspect drug as a cause. Same time there is need to investigate other common causes of rash like infection and allergy.

In such case, it is better to stop medicine and consult your physician. Same time take dermatologist opinion to rule out other causes of rash.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.