Have irregular cycles with excessive or abnormal growth of hair. Should I be tested for PCOS?

Hi there!
I have cycles that are around 38 days long (occasionally a bit shorter and sometimes much longer.)

I also have a good amount of dark, coarse hair on my abdomen and a bit around my nipples. These seems strange because I am blonde with light skin and XXXXXXX eyes.

Should I be tested for PCOS?

If I am working hard to cut out refined carbs and sugars and adding in exercise, is there really any reason for a diagnosis? I am trying to get pregnant, so birth control is not an option.

Also, this is my first month charting my fertility, but so far it's looking like I do ovulate (although on day 22).

Thank you for your opinion.
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 40 minutes later

Welcome and thanks for the query

Delayed or irregular cycles with excessive or abnormal growth of hair indicates PCOD.
Get your ultrasound done too see the size of ovaries and the maturity of follicles. It should be done in mid cycle.With ovulation testing Kits you can not get the whole picture.Other tests like FSH , LH , prolactin , testosterone , estradiol , progesterone , insulin resistance should be done under doctor's guidance.Get thyroid profile done.
It is good that you are controlling your sugars and doing exercises as it plays a very important role in PCOD and infertility.
If you are having PCOD , your doctor will advise you Metformin along with ovulation induction drugs like clomiphene citrate.
Please attach all the reports if possible.
Best wishes