Have intestinal worms and passed about 15 visible worms. Took vermox. How can I know it is cured?

Question
Hello i have a problem with intestinal worms. i have passed about 15 visible worms in the passed 2 weeks since i have used vermox of one tablet and the follow up tablet. my question is i still have a distended abdomen of about 2 inches outward. does this mean i still have them? how do i know if they are still there or if they are gone?
Posted Wed, 14 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 19 hours later

I apologize for the delayed response.

Worm infestation does produce symptoms like abdominal upset, bloating and distension.

Though adults worm are visible, but many eggs and larvae are not visible to naked eye. There are several types, some of which cannot be cleared with vermox and may need alternatives drugs and dosages like sicnidazole.

Whether or not you have other varieties of worm can be confirmed by a stool test. I urge you to get the stool test done through your primary health care provider. That will clarify the presence of stool, larvae or egg of other worm. We can treat those accordingly.

Thanks for posting your concern here and I hope your concern is addressed. If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Follow-up: Have intestinal worms and passed about 15 visible worms. Took vermox. How can I know it is cured? 6 hours later
I took two stool tests at which both came out negative but once I took vermox the worms came out, my stomach is still slightly distended does this mean I still have the worms?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

If the stool test came out negative then it means the worms are being eliminated. The distension might be due to flatulence which will subside within few days.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Follow-up: Have intestinal worms and passed about 15 visible worms. Took vermox. How can I know it is cured? 2 days later
i uploaded a picture of the worms... they are dead are they worms? they appear more flat in person than in the picture. could these be tapeworm?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 37 hours later
This is definitely not a worm, leave alone a tapeworm. I can assure you that your problem is getting better with time.

What are they then?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 31 hours later

A safe guess is undigested food. But you should recollect what are all the non edible items you chew in the mouth. Sometimes it is habitforming for people under stress.