Have hyperacidity and attention deficit disorder. Safe medicine to improve concentration?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have a question about hyperactivity and attention deficit that i am facing. I have heard about homeopathic treatment of it as well as traditional that includes ritalin. What is a safe medicine (with minimum side effects) that would help me improve my concentration?
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 8 hours later

You will agree with me that inattention and lack of concentration is a symptom of ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

Ritalin affects the dopamine and nor-epinephrine neurotransmitters in the brain that controls concentration.

Scientifically, there is good evidence that Ritalin works for concentration problem of ADHD.

Side effects are usually not very common and not very significant. There may be decreased appetite and some weight loss.

If you are very eager to take homeopathic medicines, no significant harm in combining the both.

Hope this gives some insight to your query.

Good luck, I am available for further query.

Follow-up: Have hyperacidity and attention deficit disorder. Safe medicine to improve concentration? 1 hour later
Thank you very much,

The issue that i could not find ritalin in my home country. Is there a way to order it ? or perhaps I can substitute it with other medicine?

thank you!

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 35 minutes later

As Ritalin is a schedule H drug, it can only be purchased by a prescription.

The alternative to Ritalin could be atomoxetine.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.
If all your queries are answered to your satisfaction, please close this discussion.

Good luck!!

Follow-up: Have hyperacidity and attention deficit disorder. Safe medicine to improve concentration? 50 minutes later
Thank you

Are there significant side effects to taking automoxetine ? Is it ok to simultaneously take anti ringworm oral medicine ? Would homeopathic medicine have less side effects ?

Thank you

AAA

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 2 hours later
Dear AAAAA

Thanks again for follow up.

1. The side effect profile of Atomoxetine is practically (what we see in day to day experience) more or less same as Ritalin.

2. Anti-worm oral drugs have no clinically evident drug interaction with Atomoxetine. Anti-worm drugs may be taken if needed with atomoxetine.

3. I am not an expert in homeopathy, so I do not know about its safety. But yes, (generally speaking) unless homeopathic medicines are taken in large quantity, they should be safe except few like belladonna, aconite, etc.
I have seen some cases of ADHD who are taking Atomoxetine plus homeopathy and did not have any significant side effects.

Hope I have answered your query.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Good Luck

Follow-up: Have hyperacidity and attention deficit disorder. Safe medicine to improve concentration? 40 minutes later
Doctor Padhy

Thanks for your response.

What are positive aspects of ADHD I can take advantage of?

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 6 hours later
Thank you AAAA for your compliments.

The positive effect of ADHD is that as is below:

Some individuals with "not severe form of ADHD", "not very dysfunctional" form of ADHD have faster information processing. One can take advantage of this.

But someone who has severe inattention or severe concentration problems this principle will rather be disadvantageous.

That means the individual need to balance these two principles and take advantage of the situation.

This does not mean that one need not treat ADHD.

Hope this makes some sense and is not too complicated.

Wish you good luck.