Have high SGPT levels. Should I stop drinking?

Question
hii .doctor, my
my.. SGOT 34.3U/ML AND LAST WEEK IT WAS 28 MY .. SGPT86.8U/ML AND LAST WEEK IT WAS 52 I STOP DRINKING
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
From your report I can see elevation of SGPT ( ALT alanine aminotransferase normal range 10-40 U/L ) . Actually in alcohol consumption should be elevated SGOT ( AST aspartate aminotransferase ) and GGT ( gamma glutamyl transpeptidase ) or in your case SGOT are slightly elevated almost in normal range.
SGPT are very sensitive marker of liver injury and we can find high levels not only in alcohol consumption, but also in viral infection of liver, drugs, toxins, liver and systemic diseases involving liver. At this stage I would recommend you properly laboratory investigation to rule out any liver/systemic diseases and clarify why you have elevated SGOT . For that you have to ask for full liver test that include : Bilirubin ( conjugated, unconjugated, total ), Albumin, PT ( protrombine time), Liver enzymes (GGT - gamma glutamyl transpeptidase, SGOT AST aspartate aminotransferase , SGPT ALT alanine aminotransferase, ALP alkaline phosphatase, 5’ Nucleotidase ), CBC ( complete blood count ). All these tests will help find cause and of course during this period you have to stop consumption of alcohol.

Hope this helps and I have answered your query.If you have additional queries don’t hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Dr.Mihail