Have headache, cold, runny nose and sore throat. Treatment for permanent cure?

ENT Specialist
Sir i am frequently affected by sore throat basically because of cold or running nose followed by nasal congestion, allergy in the mornings . I also breath through mouth while sleeping . The pain is severe with head ache . salt water gargling seems to be a temporary remedy . Is there a treatment for permanent cure ?
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from allergic rhinosinusitis and pharyngitis.

During nasal congestion, because of which there will be blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions in the sinus and increased viscosity. Stagnation of the secretions gives rise to headache and nasal infection. When the infected secretions trickle down into the throat it can cause irritation of the throat, followed by cough and difficulty in swallowing.

When the infection is acute there will be associated fever, headache, cough, throat pain, difficulty in breathing, etc.

Cetrizine will worsen the symptoms at this stage, hence avoid taking it.

You can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain.
2. A steroid nasal spray such as fluticasone or momentasone to reduce the allergy and decongest the nose.
3. An anti-inflammatory medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this helps in removing the thick secretions from the sinuses and thus reduces the nasal block.
5. Avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.

Do not worry! With the above measures you will definitely be alright.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Have headache, cold, runny nose and sore throat. Treatment for permanent cure? 17 minutes later
I have tried all these medicines already since i am having this problem for about 25years . They all proved to be temporary remedy . What i need is a permanent cure . I want to get rid of this sore throat / throat pain problem for ever.
So please suggest me a permanent treatment . Salt water gargling etc are just temporary relief only.
i am requesting for a permanent cure . I have tried a number of medicines . They are all giving temporary relief only . Should i go for a surgery for permanent solution ?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back

Seasonal allergy is a part of allergic rhinosinusitis which is difficult to cure. When you take medicines you will be alright but as soon as you stop it the symptoms will recur back.

I am sorry! I cannot give you any false promises about curing allergy. Surgery can relieve any block in the nasal cavities but cannot cure allergy. This is because certain genes in your body would have created sensitization for the allergens hence it is difficult to treat all these genes.

Secondly, your sore throat is because of two reasons:
(i) Mouth breathing following nasal block, takes away the moisture content from the throat and makes it sore.
(ii) The allergic reaction induces swelling in the mucosa of the throat, thus making it sore.

A potent steroid spray has to used for at least 6 months continuously followed by gentle tapering of the spray. In case the spray is stopped suddenly, the symptoms will recur back which is termed as 'rebound phenomenon'.

But, there are few preventive measures if followed piously can get rid of this allergy.

1. Avoiding exposure to dust, smoke, or cold weather. Cover your nose with a clean handkerchief when you are exposed to the above allergens.
2. Drink plenty of warm water, this improves the blood circulation and reduce the episodes of allergy.
3. Change the pillow cover every night before going to bed.
4. Take an antihistaminic such as fexofenadine immediately when you suspect you are getting allergy.
5. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to boost up your immunity.

Hope this answers your query

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon