Ask a Urologist   »  

Have had kidney stones. Taken IV fluids. Medical history of hysterectomy, fibromyalgia. Found blood in urine

I have had kidney stones in past was in ER last week with severe pain. They gave me one large bag of IV fluids and pushed IV diluadid after toradol did not work. It took two doses of dialuadid for relief. Told me I was dehydrated and blood in urine. Gave me pain meds sent me home. As of right now I am still in pain. But live in a small rural town where they treat you like a drug seeker. I believe something is wrong with my kidney. However, I don't trust the care at my local hospital. I am very frustrated what could this be and what should I do. I am 37 yr old woman past medical history includes a hysterectomy, fibromyalgia, and my gallbladder removed. I am overweight but work out daily am on weight watchers and have lost 10 lbs. I have had kidney stones three times in past. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 13 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
Thank you for your query.

Kidney stones are a common medical problem and they are known to recur.

I have the following suggestions for your problems:

1) If you have ongoing pain it suggests either a stone blocking the flow of urine or an infection.
I would suggest you to get an ultrasound or a CT Scan of the kidneys ureter and bladder. If it shows a stone we could plan further definitive treatment based on the size and location of the stone.
You should also do a urine R&M examination to rule out an infection.

2) Is the stone affecting your kidneys? We could do blood urea and creatinine levels to determine if you have a kidney problem. If they are normal we don't have to worry abouth this aspect.

3) Can we do something to prevent the stones from recurring? Certainly. Once this episode is over we should do your metabolic work up. This consists of special blood and urine tests which will tell us if you have any condition which predisposes to stone formation.
Mean while drink plenty of fluids.

I would suggest you to visit a good teaching hospital where all of the above measures can be implemented immediately.

I hope this was helpful.
I would be happy to provide answer to any further questions which you may have.

Dr. Aditya Bhabhe