Have had heartburn and acid reflux. Having pain under ribs. Diagnosed with GERD. What should I do?

Critical Care Specialist
Hi, I've had aching pains under my ribs on both sides for 4 months. I've had heartburn and acid reflux for 6 months. Now I have nausea and occasional loose bowels (about 2x per week) for about a month. My stomach is sometimes bloated. The doc said I had GERD and gave me pantoprazole which I've been taking for a month along with some natural remedies to calm my stomach. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. It showed some gastritis. What should I do now. I'm not feeling better. I'm feeling worse. Also now I'm having some middle back aches and tightness. Thank you fror any advice.
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 9 hours later

Thank you for your question on health care magic.

You have heart burn and reflux along with nausea / loose bowels for 6 months, pain under both sides of ribs for 4 months, raised cholesterol and over weight - been diagnosed as GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease ). Upper GI Endoscopy report is gastritis but what about your colonoscopy report and the H.pylori status (H.pylori is a bacteria that is responsible for most of gastric symptoms and diagnosed during upper GI endoscopy biopsy and the test is called as CLO Test or rapid urease test).

In view of high cholesterol and over weight, was an ultrasound scan performed. If yes, does it show fatty liver? Any stool test done?

Putting your history and investigation reports which are incomplete together it seems you might be having GERD secondary to H Pylori infection. The second possibility is of Giardiasis. Pain under your ribs is seen in patients with GERD.

In brief, you seem to be incompletely investigated. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would want the aforementioned test with chest X-ray and ECG to rule out other possibilities. GERD is most likely responsible for your symptoms. In addition a stressful job may be contributing to hyper-acidity, reflux, middle back aches and tightness.

I suggest you to consult a competent physician and discuss about all the possibilities suggested; accordingly you may plan the test.

I hope this suffices. Let me know if you have any other concerns.