Have had a cough, voice is hoarse, prescribed nasal spray. Can it be lung cancer?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hello. I have had a cough for years. Recently, a dear friend, age 45, was diagnosed with lung cancer. I am devastated for her. Upon hearing her news, my cough intensified, (late April) I researched LC online, and read that hoarse voice is a symptom. Two days later, my voiceis hoarse and has been hoarse for 2 weeks now. My GP says my head is stuffed up and cough is due to PND. He also said that my stress level is working on me... He prescribed nasal spray. Now, a week later, I wake up with a head cold and a barky cough. What do you think? Am I a hypochondriac? Thank so much
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 33 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
You are correct that a hoarse voice and a cough could be a sign of lung cancer but it could also be a simple cold or sinus infection which are far more common ailments.
It must have been upsetting to lose a friend to lung cancer. So I guess it is in the forefront of your mind. I don't think you are a hypochondriac.
This illness is much more likely to be a simple infection. I would suggest you take the treatment your doctor prescribed and you are probably going to feel an improvement shortly.
To put your mind at rest you could consider having a chest x-ray which would be able to identify anything more serious.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger