Have fluttering feeling and wheezing sensation when exhaling. Have shortness of breath and sternum pressure. What is it?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I feel as though I may have some sort of respiratory infection ( lower), but my concern is when lying on left side and upon exhaling, there is a fluttering feeling and wheezing sensation. Like fluid build up (it's a similar feeling and sounding to while holding the end of a balloon and letting air out). There is a shortness of breath and pressure on the sternum. Urgent care said to go ER, but hate to if doesn't sound like could be serious.
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Get immediately to ER,further evaluation&treatment Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Your symptoms might indicate a respiratory infection that could be involving pleura (wheezing and fluttering feeling upon exhaling). I suggest to consult pulmologist immediately to get treatment as soon as possible. The shortness of breath and pressure on the sternum could be because of lung's problems and heart problems too. You should run: - X-ray of chest - respiratory tests - cardiac testing (ECG, cardiac echo) Although you hate to go to ER, but it is a must you'd go and get immediate help. All the best! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have at the next follow up. Dr.Bardha