Have flu and scratchy throat, took aspirin. Had blood from mouth. Should I be worried?

Question
Hi , I woke up this morning and I had taste of blood , I went to spit it and there was blood . I am not coughing it from chest , I do have a flue and a little bit is a scratchy throat, I did take cold and flu and asprin ! Please tell me if I have to worry
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Very likely,the blood is from the throat, from the inflammation.
However, one can not be sure
See an Internist / get yourself examined...
Basic investigation may be necessary – especially because of the history of asthma / Blood counts, bleeding and clotting time; X-ray chest and sinuses will reassure both the patient and physician....

Wishing all well
God bless
Good luck

Follow-up: Have flu and scratchy throat, took aspirin. Had blood from mouth. Should I be worried? 7 minutes later
Thanks , I have had asthma , from when I was a kid , I have a flue like symptom , do you think I overdosed on my Medicine , I took cold and flue 400 brufene and two aspirins and earlier that evening I had an immigrane 50 for my my grain headaches

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not likely from the medicine

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs (NSAID) can irritate the stomach and cause bleeding... / if so, abdominal pain, black stools will follow...
Take brufen alone / no benefit from combining with aspirin / and they may precipitate asthma too... / paracetamol (Tylenol) is safer..

The sequence of events suggests the source is probably the mouth – gums, pharynx...

Follow-up: Have flu and scratchy throat, took aspirin. Had blood from mouth. Should I be worried? 59 minutes later
I have had asthma from when I was a kid, I have had flue like symptoms ,do you think I took an overdose of medicines ,I took cold and flu bruphene400 and two aspirins later in the evening and had a immigrane 50 for my migraines
Dr sorry to be a pest but what other symptoms are there with pharynx just to rule it out

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not urgent / watch

Detailed Answer:
Imigran won't do this.
Ibuprofen or aspirin irritate the stomach, not likely to cause blood in mouth..
With a basis of long term asthma, chances of infection are higher and hence the need for investigation...
Generally blood in spitting is not an emergency \ rarely serious - unless the amount is large and it recurs again. Observation alone is necessary in most cases. But it is wiser to exclude lung problem like infection.

Follow-up: Have flu and scratchy throat, took aspirin. Had blood from mouth. Should I be worried? 14 minutes later
Thank you doctor , it now almost mid morning and I noticed that when I squeeze my mouth like pressurise it to cause a vacuum , if you understand what I mean and spit , there is traces of blood , is the blood from my gums or can slyva be produced with blood ?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not saliva

Detailed Answer:
Blood from salivary gland is extremely rare - most unlikely
This is from gums and pharynx
Relax!

Follow-up: Have flu and scratchy throat, took aspirin. Had blood from mouth. Should I be worried? 0 minute later
Thank you doctor ,any other symptoms with pharynx?

Brief Answer:
A few more

Detailed Answer:
Itching / Irritation / Difficulty in swallowing / pain and so on
None of them need be present in a given individual...or at a given time
Watchful expectancy and masterly inactivity is all that is needed!

Follow-up: Have flu and scratchy throat, took aspirin. Had blood from mouth. Should I be worried? 44 hours later
Good morning doctor , today is my second morning after the incident , today my spit was yellowish but my mouth was dry and not a lot of spit until I drank a little water and after it was clear , I do have a cold now and a little cought chest .is the yellowish spit ok? I did make an appointment with the dentist for tomorrow to advice me on my teeth and gums ,

Brief Answer:
See Internist oe ENT

Detailed Answer:
Secondary bacterial infection is most likely to cause yellow sputum / An antibiotic may be necessary
Rather than a dentist, an Internist or ENT specialist is a better choice in this situation!
Drinking plenty water helps dryness and also sputum liquefaction
Nasal decongestant like phenylephrine tablet or oxymetazoline drops / throat lozenges help in the mean time...