Can blood in cough be related to shortness of breath and Acidity problem?

General Surgeon
Hi, This is XXXXX, I have habit of drinking warm water in morning before brushing my teeth. And after brush I clear my throat with back side my brush and while doing so some warm water comes out of my stomach along with cough. But today morning along with Cough there was blood also. I am bit worried. Other than this I some time face the short breath problems, but this was due to Acidity Problem, Doctor recommended me to complete my Stool Test for some Bacteria, and this test was +Ve, I had short breath problem due to Acidity. But After taking treatment Now its better, I started taking Kamdudha Ayurvedik Tablets as well. Could you please help me, what can be reason for this blood while clearing the throat? Please let me know if you need any more details. Regards XXXXX
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. If it is bright red blood mixed with saliva, most probable source of this blood are gums (due to brushing) or throat (due to coughing). This is quite often and should not worry you. If it will happen again please consult dentist for gums checkup. The other thing is the cough and shortness of breath. You need to know that most likely you have GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). This issue is very often associated with asthma disease. Most common symptoms of asthma are shortness of breath and cough. GERD symptom is acidity. I suggest you to visit your doctor and have gastroscopy and spirometry (blow test). Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Can blood in cough be related to shortness of breath and Acidity problem? 44 minutes later
Thank you So much Dr. Grzegorz, Yes It was Bright Red Blood Mixed with Saliva, But Dont think that it was from Gums, But Yes from throat its possible, But I don't have heavy cough as such, Some time I feel Dry cough in nose and I try to Remove that using finger's. And In Throat as well I Feel Dry Cough. Also yday night I had one small bottle of Beer before dinner. I used to smoke in past, I smoked during 2009 - 2013 (Around 4-5 Cigarettes daily) and I quit in XXXXXXX 2013. But again I started for 1 mouth during Oct 2013 - Nov 2013 (Around 4-5 Cigarettes daily) again I Quit from 27th Nov 2013. Other than this I drink very rarely. Do you think Do I need to test any of the areas? Thank you So much for your help XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: I would not be concerned about this blood. Especially if you use finger in the throat or nose. Airwaves (including nose and throat) are covered with very sensitive and small vessels rich mucosa. So even cough can make small bleeding. The cough, even if you feel it comes from your throat may be caused by asthma or (as you have been smoking) COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) or chronic inflammation. Smoking as you know for sure is a risk factor of lungs cancer. Any chronic cough should be treated as a possible symptom of lungs cancer. That is why any person who smokes needs to have chest CT every 2 years. In conclusion: - please consult pulmunologist, have spirometry and consider chest CT (or at least chest X-ray) Hope this will help. Regards.
Follow-up: Can blood in cough be related to shortness of breath and Acidity problem? 49 minutes later
Thank you so much Dr. I will never ever smoke now. And I will ask my NHS center for Chest X-Ray. Thank you resolving my queries.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: You are welcome. Hope you will get well soon. Regards.