Have asthma, shortness of breathe and diabetes. Legs are swelling because of too much salt intake. Suggest?

my legs are swelling because of too much salt intake but what is the cause of this problem it was not in effect 5 or 10 years ago?
I have asthma and I am a diabetes person and I have shortness of breath I have trouble walking and I get exhausted in a few minutes by just moving around I also have coughing fits at times but only a little phlegm comes up I watch my weight and eat as little of food with salt in it
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Heart Failure
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
1. A combination of swelling feet, shortness of breath, easy fatiguability, in a patient with history of cardiac by-pass surgery, is an indicator towards a cardiac problem. These feature may be present in patients of heart failure. Hence an assessment of cardiac functions by ECHO (cardiac ultrasound) is usually done in such patients.
2. Other possible causes in such a case can be
a. Affliction of right side of heart due to long standing asthma. This would again require a cardiac ultrasound.
b. Involvement of kidneys due to diabetes. This requires assessment of kidney functions including estimation of 24 hours urine protein & serum protein levels.
c. Venous insufficiency & some medicines can also contribute to leg swelling in such a scenario.
I would recommend you to upload any recent blood reports, ECHO report and current medication list for further analysis. These can be uploaded on right top corner of this page.
In the meanwhile restrict your salt and water intake. Do not take water more than (500 ml + urine output) in a day. Do not use table salt. Do not keep your legs in dependent position. Do get yourself evaluated by your physician for possible heart failure.