Have fibroid on muscular wall of the uterus. Started heavy bleeding after c-section. Any cure?

I am 31 years old and had a C-Section delivery 6 months back. My periods have now started yesterday. It is extremely heavy ( 8 pads in 12 hrs!) but not painful. Is this normal? Is it ok to take traneximic acid tablet? I had myeomectomy at the time of my CS but the doctor could not take out one fibroid wich was 9*9*9 cm. I have been told by my OBGYN than this fibroid is on the muscular wall of the uterus and hence cannot be removed without doing a hysterectomy. Will i have to live with such heavy periods the rest of my life till menopause?
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 39 minutes later
Your main problem here is the fibroid. Although,periods for the first time after delivery is usually heavy, the problem in your case is probably the fibroid. The symptoms of a fibroids usually regress during pregnancy but after pregnancy the size may increase again.You have mentioned that your have a intramural fibroid,almost 9*9cm and that is pretty big according to standards. Such a big fibroid may be difficult to remove without doing a hysterectomy. You can control your periods and the heavy flow with the help of hormones and tranexemic acid tabs. Try Tab Pause 1 tab three times a day from day day1-3 of your cycle.If that doesnt control the bleeding, then do another ultrasound after 6 months. Compare the previous reports of the usg with regard to size of the uterus. Even if the myomectomy is attempted, future pregnancies may be high risk. Another option is an MIRENA insertion but that would be useful only if the uterus isnt too big.
My advice, try medication like tranexa/progesterone first.Do an usg after 6 months. Then refer back to your doctor for assessment.