Have fibroid cysts in uterus, confusion, restlessness, recurrent UTI. Should we remove the uterus?

Hi my mother is 89 yo and dx with fibroid cysts in uterus she had a d/c done 7 months ago with removal and now it has returned. I am noticing increase confusion and restlessness as well as recurrent UTI. the doc says that he wanted to remove the uterus but wants to wait till Dec, to make that decision.
my question is what should I do. and would her dx have anything to do with this horrible case of UTIs that she is battleing I realize that the confusion and restlessness could be due to both the cysts and the UTI.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
The mild fibroid cysts in the uterus are not likely to cause UTI provided it is small in size. In case the cysts are bigger then these may exert a pressure on the urinary bladder thus causing symptoms of frequency.
You can get her urine culture done to guide you reagrding the antibiotic best suitable for her. She also needs to be screened for diabetes to detect the cause of recurrent infections.
Water helps flush your urinary tract, so make sure she drinks plenty of plain water
Don't hold it when you need to urinate! Women are often guilty of trying to finish a task before they go to the bathroom. Holding it when you need to go can help any bacteria that may be present develop into a full-fledged urinary tract infection.
Drinking cranberry juice is a fairly well-known and natural way to both help prevent urinary tract infections, as well as help speed the recovery process when a UTI develops. Just drinking two 4-ounce glasses of cranberry juice daily is often enough to both prevent a UTI and speed recovery when an infection does develop.
Another nutritional route that may help prevent UTI is regularly taking vitamin C supplements. Vitamin C increases the acidity level of urine, which in turn helps decrease the number of harmful bacteria that may be present in the urinary tract system.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.