Have endometriosis, fibroids and pain in groin area. Medical cure for this?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have endometriosis and pain in my left side but this I have pain going to my groin and the pain is shooting down my left leg. Is this due to endometriosis? I also have fibroids. Sometime the pain is unbearable and I don't know what I can do to ease the pain. Is there any medication I can take for endometriosis? Can you recommend anything?
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 13 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem but I am glad that your are seeking medical attention for the same. Although endometriosis can cause this pain sometimes, but considering your age (close to menopause), I feel other conditions also need to be ruled out. Endometriosis usually subsides as menopause sets in.
You have described your pain as a shooting pain down your left leg starting from the groin..this can be due to disc prolapse (problem in your spine). Do you also suffer from backaches? This is one cause you should get evaluated by your doctor. They might do an MRI to diagnose this condition.
Another reason for your pain could be diabetes, which is known to cause neuropathy. For how long have you been a diabetic?
Considering your symptoms, it is advisable that you visit a gyneocologist & an orthopedician to rule out endometriosis and disc prolapse. Also consult your diabetologist for neuropathy.
Any new medication for this pain should only be started after diagnosing the exact nature of the problem. Till then you can take over the counter pain medications.

I hope I have answered your query and hope you get well soon.
Follow-up: Have endometriosis, fibroids and pain in groin area. Medical cure for this? 23 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX Khandelwal
Thank you for taking time to give me your prognosis. I not suffered from any accident or have had any back issues to have prolapsed disc. So I was very surprised to have this issue. When I had asked my GP few weeks ago she put it down to my fibroids. When I asked her if there is anything to treat the symptom she said no. But few weeks down the line the pain has got worse. I have taken another appointment with my GP and will take your notes with me. I have taken appointment with a chiropractor to help me ease the pain in my groin and leg pain.
Can you make any other suggestion that can help me?
Once again thank you for advise.
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 5 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Fibroids and endometriosis can cause such pains but at your age (close to menopause) these problems gradually subside. If you dont have any back issues, then you can discuss about the neuropathy.
Another distant cause could be cancer. I dont want to alarm you but it should be ruled out by doing appropriate tests.
In the meantime, for pain you can take over the counter medications and try some yoga or visit a chiropractor.
Hope all your tests come out to be normal and your pain subsides.