Have ear pain which comes at various intervals. Paracetamol helps. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
I ha a pain in my ear which comes at various intervals 10 seconds~~~~half an hour it is very severe lasts about 1/5 minutes then abates to a dull ache it has progressed increasing in severity over10 days 3 paracetamol make it bearable
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since the pain is increasing in severity, get your ear drums examined.

2. If the ear is normal, then this may be a referred pain from the face, teeth, oral cavity, nose, chest or stomach.

3. Such pains may also be neuralgias such as a Trigeminal Neuralgia which are typically shooting pain and dull aches and they require different set of painkillers including amitriptyline, carbamazepine and gabapentin.

4. Herpes zoster is another cause to be ruled out. It would present like this, with some vesicles breaking out in the ear canal.

5. If there is an ear infection or congestion, with a history of a cold or if pressure changes are causing these ear pains, routine treatment including antibiotics, anti-allergic decongestants, mucolytics, steam inhalation and ear drops will help clear the problem.

6. You should get a direct examination, since, for example, I do not even know which ear hurts, whether the ear drums are normal, is there any fever, whether you use dentures and so on. At ten days, it would have resolved on its own if it was a minor cause.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.