Have dry, flaking skin on fingers, no itching or pain. Noticed red patches on upper thigh. Fungal infection?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have dry, flaking skin on the first two fingers of my right hand and my thumb. There is no itching or pain. I also have this same type of thing on the bottom of my toes and heels. Recently I have seen a raised red patch of skin on my upper thigh. Could this all be a fungal infection?
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the description given, I could think of few possibilities
Fungal infection- well defined areas of dryness and flakiness can be seen over palms and soles. Responds to antifungals
Keratolysis exfoliatiava- characterised by peeling of skin of fingers palms and soles leading to dry flaky skin. Treatment requires application of emollients and steroid creams
Eczema dry flake fissured skin seen, usually itching present. Treatment is steroid cream
Psoriasis- well defined red lesions with thick scales seen over body parts. Over palm and soles there is thickening and peeling of skin with dry scaly patches. Treatment for milder cases is steroid cream and emollients

As you can see there could be many possibilities. The probable diagnosis can only be confirmed after examination of concerned area. To confirm fungal infection, usually a scraping of the area and then a KOH mount is also required as a lab procedure to confirm it. Hence I would advise you to visit a dermatologist near by for the same.

I would be in a better position to answer your further queries, if you could upload an image of the concerned area.( palm, soles as well as thigh lesion)

Hope that helps.

Follow-up: Have dry, flaking skin on fingers, no itching or pain. Noticed red patches on upper thigh. Fungal infection? 27 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. Pathak. I believe this may be hyperkeratotic tinea pedis. I have no pain or lesions. The skin on the fingers and thumb are actually looking like the skin on my toes and heels. Could the red spot on my thigh, which by the way, does not itch either...it is only red, also be caused by this type of fungal infection?

The lesion on your thigh could be a fungal rash. If you think that the lesions are due to fungal infection, you may apply antifungal cream like clotrimazole or terbinafine twice in a day. You might also require a course of oral antifungal drug. Also use an emollient containing urea and lactic acid .

I would still advise you to visit a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis and start with an appropriate treatment.
Hope that helps.

Follow-up: Have dry, flaking skin on fingers, no itching or pain. Noticed red patches on upper thigh. Fungal infection? 14 hours later
Thank you so much. I have now booked an appointment. In the meantime I will use both the clotrimazole and also the urea cream. You have been so helpful.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 7 hours later
I really appreciate that you have booked an appointment with your doctor.
Wish you a speedy recovery.