Have diarrhea but no stomach pain. Food poisoning? What should I take?

Psychiatrist
Question
I cooked haddock for dinner and 3 hours later have had diarheea several times but no stomach pain
What should I take ? . I feel fine... Just nervous because I've had food poisoning before and it was so horrendous.
Posted Wed, 26 Jun 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 1 hour later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.
I have gone through your history.

It seems that you have food poisoning and hense, you have diarheea.

You should take plenty of water with oral rehydration solutions to maintain your water and electrolyte balance.

You may need antibiotics like metronidazol or ofloxacin group for curbing infection. You may get prescription from your doctor for the same.

Your doctor msy advise you to go stool - routine as well as microscopic examination and culture sensitivity to identify the organism responsible for food poison.

You should take light food like rice .

You may take curd which helps in increasing normal floora.
Avoid taking drugs to stop diarrhea like loperamide.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.

Thanks.