Have diarrhea and vomiting. Used cocaine. Is that why I am sick?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
For the last 4 days I have severe diarrhea, the sweats, and puke up everything I try to eat. I used cocaine for the first time the night before this began- is this why I am sick?
Posted Thu, 13 Sep 2012 in Drug Abuse

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later
Hi

I can empathize your sufferings. Cocaine not necessarily have always euphoric effects, but can have host of acute effects.

Here are some acute effects of cocaine:

Tachycardia or bradycardia, elevated or lowered blood pressure, perspiration or chills , nausea or vomiting, diarrhoea or constipation, evidence of weight loss, psychomotor agitation or retardation, muscular weakness, respiratory depression, chest pain, or cardiac arrhythmias, confusion, seizures.

The effects can last for few days to in some cases a couple of weeks

It seems cocaine is the reason for being sick. And the effects of cocaine can vary from individual to individual.

However, if dehydration is there, you must consult the doctor or else it can be problematic.

Moreover, if you have taken some "unhygienic food) along with cocaine . it can be mere "food poisoning". Always better to seek a doctor in such situation.
Hope this answer is of help to you