Have abdominal pain and diarrhoea after having food. Is it food poisoning?
User rating for this question
Friday night had dinner with friends and ate some fish that didn't taste great. Felt ok until about 14 hours later and then had a lot of upper abdominal pain throughout the day. Never vomited (although it may have helped ) and this morning I woke up and the pain was lower and diarrhea started again and was orange (not red) with a lot of mucos. Can you get food poisoning after that much time? What can I take to help
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, food poisoning is possible. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Yes, food poisoning can appear after that much of time. Most of bacterial infections of digestive tract starts after 12 hours or even longer. This is very common. Most of food poisonings does not need medical attention as it heals without any medicines. However if diarrhea lasts longer than 48 hours, high fever appear, blood in stool, stool tests and antibiotics are necessary. As you have finished recent antibiotics treatment, your good intestinal bacteria has been in some part destroyed. This has made your intestines "naked" and easy to colonize by bad bacteria. I suggest you to stop taking any solid foods for 12 hours. Please increase liquids intake (mineral water, warm tea, Gatorade). Probiotic supplementation should be started. If the symptoms wont go away within 48 hours, please visit your doctor. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Have abdominal pain and diarrhoea after having food. Is it food poisoning? 18 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Yes, you can try pepto bismol if you have it. Loperamide should be also helpful and OTC. Please continue with GERD medicines. Mucus and orange color is a normal thing for diarrhea. So no reason for being concerned. Please watch your stool for blood. It indicates serious infection. Regards.
Follow-up: Have abdominal pain and diarrhoea after having food. Is it food poisoning? 3 minutes later
Thank you very much. And have a great day!!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: You are welcome. Hope you will get well soon.
People also viewed
- Severe daytime sleepiness
- Neural damage symptoms
- What is dangerously low potassium
- Having abdominal pain vomiting headache and diarrhoea food poisoning
- Can abdominal pain and cramps be due to food poisoning?
- Is loss of appetite a side effect of tetracycline?
- Could abdominal pain be due to food poisoning
- Is flushed, dry skin a side effect of solu-cortef?
- Abdominal pain and food poisoning
- Is loss of appetite a side effect of teriparatide?
- Nausea vomiting abdominal pain is it food poisoning
- Is a endoscopy procedure dangerous
- What sodium level is dangerous
- Is runny nose a side effect of tacrolimus topical?
- Is tightness in the chest a side effect of septra?