Have cysts in breast which are painful. What could be this?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have cysts in my left breast which are painful to touch. Tonight I sneezed about 15 times straight and now have excruciating pain throughout my breast and it runs under into my armpit. What is this pain? What should I do?
I do not have a fever nor is my breast swollen or red.
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. This pain which you are feeling could be related to your recurrent sneezing. Bouts of sneezing or cough can lead to chest pain, which can be perceived as breast pain by women. This usually subsides within a day or two. Sometimes excessive sneezing can lead to muscular pain as well in the chest region and this can persist for a few days. This responds to analgesics.
The last possibility is that the cysts might have got ruptured due to excessive sneezing. To confirm this, you require an ultrasound of the breast. You can review with a breast surgeon after the ultrasound.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.