Have cracking in knees and slight pressure. Done with X ray. Should I be worried about arthritis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi ever since I was 14 years old I have had cracking in my knees every time I bend down my knees crack, even when I am sitting down I have slight pressure in my knees and have the urge to crack them sometimes I even get slight pain in both my knees. I have had x rays on both my knees about three years ago and the doctor then told me their was nothing pathologically wrong with my knees but I am now 24 years old and I am a little concerned their may be something wrong with my knees as arthritis runs in my family.
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its snapping syndrome probably

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.

As per your symptoms you may be having snapping syndrome [clicking sound on movement of joint]
There is nothing to worry about snapping unless it’s painful.
At age of 24 there is rare presence of arthritis though it’s running in your family.
Rheumatoid arthritis has inheritance in progeny, so do your parents had rheumatoid arthritis?
Have you taken steroids for your asthma?
You need to take calcium and vitamin D XXXXXXX food and supplement.
Do regular stretching exercises, keep yourself fit.

Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises.
If not relieved you may need blood investigation for arthritic profile.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you are satisfied with answer do not forget to give rating to this answer.