Have coughing spasms. Get occasional severe vertigo. Should I see an ENT?

Jun 2015

Hello- for several months, just a couple times per day, I have had brief coughing spasms. My sputum seems to be getting a bitt thicker- it is a bit foamy with air bubbles. It is mostly clear but
getting thicker over the last few weeks. I have no other symptoms .No fever. Nose is clear. I had tested positive for TB exposure many years ago. Also I get occasional severe vertigo( positional) --- probably from inner ear issues. Sounds like I should see a specialist(ent) . What do u think the frothy clear-ish symptom might indicate? The cough is a hard one- and I feel myself pushing to get out the sputum. Even if I sip a bit of cold water it immediately subsides. But lately I spit up the phlegm to flush it out. Oh- I'm a very light smoker. I have 2 cigarettes daily
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 52 minutes later

The symptoms of vertigo as mentioned in your post can be due to:
1. Any pathology in the vestibular apparatus in inner ear (it is associated with maintenance of body posture & balance).
2. Any fluctuation in blood pressure levels such as Hypotension/Hypertension- but this can be ruled out as your blood pressure is controlled.
3. Decrease in blood sugar levels (Hypoglycemia)
4. Deficiency of certain nutrients like Iron, Vitamin B 12, etc. which also interferes with blood formation.
5. Tension/stress & lack of adequate rest and sleep.

Regarding the problem of cough with clear sputum, it can be due to:
1. Allergic reaction to any environmental allergen
2. Dryness of the throat due to inadequate hydration
3. Local irritation of the respiratory passage due to smoking.
4. It can also be attributed to the side effect of certain medications if used for a prolonged time.
5. Recurrence of TB can also be suspected (rare).

So, it will be better to consult an ENT specialist & get a proper physical examination done to find out the exact cause for these symptoms.
So that appropriate management steps could be taken.

Meanwhile, you should maintain adequate hydration, take a healthy balanced diet & avoid stress.

There is no need to worry, you will be fine.

Wishing you a good health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.
Follow-up: Have coughing spasms. Get occasional severe vertigo. Should I see an ENT? 8 hours later
Dr Sannigrahi,
Thanks so much for your thorough and thoughtful reply. Your advice is very helpful,and I will follow up on your suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 21 hours later

Thanks for your appreciation.

Wishing you a good health.

Dr. Polash Sannigrahi