Have cough and sneezing problem. Getting sharp pain in rib cage while breathing. Suggest medicine

Jan 2013

Exessive sneezing and coughing have caused sharp pain in right rib cage when I breethe or move around. What medication should I take - how long does this ailment ususally last
Posted Thu, 31 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 38 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

You are most likely suffering from acute viral upper respiratory tract infection.
Presence of cough with sneezing suggests the diagnosis.

Pain on right side of ribs may be due to underlying pleuritis (inflammation of covering of lungs) with pneumonia or due to muscle ache.
Muscle ache is due to accumulation of lactic acid in muscles causing sprain.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also take complete antibiotics course, decongestants, antiallergics and paracetamol (safe in kidney disease; as you are on dialysis).
You should also take chlorzoxazone on written prescription from your treating doctor.
You should also perform gargles three times in day; lukewarm water with pinch of salt.
You should avoid sour, cold drinks and oily edibles.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Have cough and sneezing problem. Getting sharp pain in rib cage while breathing. Suggest medicine 2 hours later
Cough and sneezing are one. I feel fine except for the sudden pain when I take a XXXXXXX breath or move while in bed.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 9 hours later
You should go for chest x XXXXXXX for evaluation of involvement of lower respiratory tract.
If chest x XXXXXXX is normal then there is high possibility of muscle ache.
In such case you should take muscle relaxants.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava