Have contraceptive implant fitted. Started having black blood discharge. Is this normal?

Infertility Specialist
I had the contraceptive implant back in march and for the past 9 weeks i have had black *old blood* discharge is this normal with having the implant fitted?
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

I have read your query & I understand your concerns.

Irregular bleeding is the most common side effect for women using Implant.

The manufacturer of Implants, advises that you should expect your periods to be irregular and unpredictable throughout the time you are using the birth control implant.

For many women, periods become fewer and lighter, and in time, they may stop altogether. Other women report having longer and heavier periods while others experience an increase in spotting and breakthrough bleeding (between periods).

In studies, about 1 out of 10 women stopped using Implanon because of bleeding changes.

About 1 out of 3 contraceptive implant users have no periods after one year.

Hence I suggest you wait for some time by which these side effects will go away.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist.