Have cold foot, numbness in foot and leg. Underlying cause?

Spine Surgeon
have colder left foot, foot and leg numb, when sleeping can on sleep about 1 hour before "burning pain" in foot wakes me up, after sitting up for a few minutes can sleep again for about another hour, when working, I am on my feet most of the day and foot becomes more and more numb as day goes on. I am 55, male, white about 194 lbs.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 30 minutes later
There are multiple reasons for the numb leg. However most common are nerve pressure in spine or along its course. Are you diabetic? Do you have any back problems? Usually disc prolapse with compression of nerves can cause such problem. Is there associated leg pain ?
I would suggest to consult a physician and get a thorough exam to pinpoint the problem. Have you done any investigations so far? If possible please upload. Thanks.
Follow-up: Have cold foot, numbness in foot and leg. Underlying cause? 2 hours later
diabetic -- not that I know of.
back pain - only the usual after a 9 hour day of standing on a concrete floor and working.
leg pain - no, just a bit of numbness at night.

no investigations as yet, don't have insurance, don't have a lot of money, office visits not cheap.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 5 hours later
I understand your situation. However we need to diagnose the problem. For time being you can start methylcobolamine Vit B12 tablet which may relieve your numbness.
I would suggest to consider doing spine xrays and basic blood tests to rule out serious illness. Thanks.