Have celiac disease. Have reoccurring upper stomach pain and lump in throat. What to do?

I have had reoccurring upper stomach pain, lasting 5-8 days at a time, since last spring. It feels like I have been hit in the stomach. I also have a "lump"sensation in my throat. I was diagnosed with celiac disease 8 years ago and follow a strict gluten free diet. Due to digestive issues related to dairy and meat I aso avoid these foods as well. My daily consumption include scrambled eggs in the morning and salad the remainder of the day. If I detour from this simple menu I pay a painful price. The other day I had potato chips, 5 days later I am still in severe pain. Upper stomach pain, cramping across mid-section, and sharp stabbing pain in lower abdomen. I have an appt with GI doctor in 2weeks, what can I expect? I have missed many days of work due to this chronic problem. How can I help myself?
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The symptoms which you have described can occur possibly be due to acute gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, hiatus hernia (in this a part of the stomach goes above the diaphragm – the muscular partition of chest and abdomen), acute inflammation of the gall bladder due to gallstones (cholecystitis) or acute pancreatitis.

An ultrasound should be done to rule out the possibility of gall bladder disease. Doing blood tests like serum amylase and lipase should help in ruling out pancreatitis. An upper GI endoscopy will help in detecting hiatus hernia or acute gastritis.
It makes sense to consult a gastroenterologist for the same .

I recommend you go to the pharmacy to obtain omeprazole 20 mg tablets.
You should take one tab with breakfast and one with dinner for 7 days. After 7 days you should take one with breakfast only for 21 more days. This should promote healing and resolution of your symptoms.

Avoid oily and spicy food.Also reduce tea, coffee, alcohol , smoking.Drink at least 2 litres of water everyday. Eat dinner 2 hrs before sleeping .
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have celiac disease. Have reoccurring upper stomach pain and lump in throat. What to do? 21 minutes later
Does omeprazole require a prescription? In addition, what can I do for the lack of bowel movement that always accompanies the symptoms? I have used prunes in the past, but consuming just 2 gives me watery diarrhea and stabbing pain in lower abdomen,over the counter laxatives have equal consequence. The pattern is very predictable, if the pain in my upper abdomen is present I will have severe diarrhea the first day followed by 5 or more days of constipation. During those 5 days I am unable to expel gas, so my belly gets increasingly bloated. I am a relatively slender woman, but I look 5 months pregnant during these episodes! It feels like digestion just shuts down! Also, the pain in my upper right abdomen I referenced in my first post, is accompanied by extreme tenderness and any movement,including XXXXXXX breaths is quite painful.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Omeprazole is available without a prescription. For the lack of bowel movement, you can have few drops of peppermint oil after meals.
This will help in decreasing the bloating and the colicky pain. The pain in right upper abdomen needs to be investigated for any gall bladder pathology.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.